Making a bootable USB is one of the things you need to know to help you copy iso files that need to be run as bootable. a tipical example is when you are despiratly in need of a bootable CD to perform oparating system installation and you can’t get a hand on a CD at the given moment, having this simple skill can spare you the pace of your hustle.
In this tutorial we are going traight to learn how to make a bootable USB or flash disk without using any software.
1. Insert your USB Drive into the computer and see to it that it shows up in the computer, quickly press the windows key on the keyboard and type CMD as the command prompt from the operating system, when it shows up then right click on it and “Run as administrator” it is not highly recommanded to hit the Enter key straight after you see the command prompt in the menu, you can easily crash your USB Drive during the bootable process .
2. you will be exposed to a black screen after you “Run as administrator” and accept the prompt if you are in windows 7. Now the next thing is to type “diskpart” in the command prompt (the black screen) and hit the enter key, image shown bellow
3. Type “list disk” to view active disks on your computer and hit Enter key on the keyboard. the active Disk Drives will be shown and there are some difference you need to take note of the active disks shown as Disk 0 is for your Local hard drive and Disk 1 for your USB flashdrive with its total capacity.
Note: Check those well before you proceed.
4. Type “select disk 1” to indicate that disk 1 would be processed in the next step then hit Enter.
5. Type “clean “ and hit Enter to remove all of data in the drive.
6. Type “create partition primary” and hit Enter. Creating a primary partition and further recognized by Windows as ‘partition 1’.
7. Type “select partition 1” an hit Enter. Choosing the ‘partition 1’ for setting up it as an active partition.
8. Type “active” and hit Enter to activate the current partition.
9. Type “format fs=ntfs quick” and hit Enter. if you don’t want to format the partition quickly you can remove the part that says quick and it is recommanded to do that if you suspect any problems with the disk innitially and that will take longer time than expected.
10. wait until the formating is successfull depending on the optiions selected and type “assign” and hit the Enter key to assign the drive for recorgnition.
11. Type “exit” and hit Enter to leave the command prompt environment.
Et Voila you have successfully made your USB bootable, the only thing left for you to do now is to copy your operating system on the drive and boot with any PC but before then in most cases you need to set the PC up to boot from USB drive.
You can acheive this by pressing F2 key immediately you boot your PC to enter the Setup Mode and configure the Boot Options as said above. for some PCs like Toshiba, HP and Dell you can directly access the boot options from the F9 key on the keyboard immedialty after booting the PC.
I hope you do well with these easy ways to get things done on your own terms.
for any Comments, Questions or corrections, you are always welcome with the comment Box bellow.